Toddler Tales #3: Tidy Bunny

At a very young age, I started teaching Bunny to clean up. It started with picking up the jengga blocks she played with, then putting back her books in her mini library after reading. I wanted her to learn that she is responsible with her toys and her books. Really, simply put – chores for toddlers.

IMG_20170227_152222_311

Recently I have been teaching her to put her dirty clothes in our laundry basket and to throw the trash in her garbage bin. See, I saw an infographic that kids her age should be given mini-chores already. To which I agree with, because it helps shape them to become more responsible kids.

FB_IMG_1487600017252

We saw how she liked cleaning up and we would thank her when she did it. I would go down on my knees, look at her, and tell her how mummy loves it that she cleans up after herself. It was good because she would know where her stuff was. No crying part because she can’t find Dory or her favorite book.

Her dad on the other hand was a bit of the opposite. He would ask me where his stuff was most of the time, which I expected already (thanks to Facebook posts about marriage tandems). He cleans up after himself but would forget where he puts his stuff. (Can other mums relate with me here?)

Fast forward this to Tuesday last week. I got a message from E, he couldn’t find his Nintendo DS. He said that the last time he saw it was when he placed it in his bag before he left for work. As we carefully traced his steps, I finally told him that it was okay. Maybe it was stolen from him when he wasn’t aware of it. Bad things happen but there’s nothing we can do about it. He apologized over and over, but really I didn’t care. If it was stolen from him, it was okay by me because at least he was fine.

Come Friday, a special surprise was revealed. The Nintendo DS wasn’t really stolen but was tidied up by a toddler!

received_120300002280589403It was in our laundry basket all along. Bunny probably thought that it was dirty laundry because it was wrapped in her old lampin (cloth nappy). She, of course, the tidy little girl that she is, decided to put it in our laundry basket. I found it funny that she hid it unknowingly and even sent a photo to her dad. I guess we are blessed to have a funny and tidy Bunny.

1. Michi says:

Hahaha! I’m not sure kung sayo ko din nabasa yung sa oven toaster tinago. Good thing, she likes keeping stuff kahit hindi sa kaniya. 🙂

2. Bernadette Callahan says:

Seems like good progress so far. 🙂 I have always taught my kids to clean up after themselves, not always did it go so well but eventually as they got older they figured it out.

3. blair villanueva says:

She’s very adorable kid!

I think whenever kids make something goos and parents made them feel they are really proud, then kids will continue good things and chores.

BTW, cute chore list here.

4. Elizabeth O. says:

It’s important to start them early with chores and helping out in the house. It develops discipline and makes them aware of the responsibilities. It’s a huge step towards independence as well. Good to know that your toddler is doing just fine with the chores.

Totally agree with you. Small chores really can help discipline them and instill with them how important responsibilities are. 🙂

5. Cameron says:

This is so cute! I love how you have toddler chores! And same on the husband not being able to find anything! Even though he puts it up himself, I seem to be the only one who knows where it is haha.

| diaryofasouthernmillennial.com

6. Madz | Mommy N' More says:

This reminds me of the time when we were trying to find my husband’s phone.It turns out my daughter hid it under her desk.Btw, I can relate to what you said about your husband asking for things.Same here! Lost and found department.

Right? Every single thing that is missing, he would ask me. Sometimes I even ask him, what he would ever do without me. Hahaha!

7. Jenelyn Ubongen says:

Funny but I have almost the same story. Hubby was crazily looking for his car key, to find out my son kept it in his toy car. I guess I can’t agree more! My 3 yr old son is also helping me with the chores, at least I know I can depend on him (for now??) hehe. 😉

That’s a funny story! It’s great to hear that your son is helping around too! I think it is important for them to be given chores, helps discipline them. 🙂

8. jared's mum says:

I agree that it is important to start them early with helping out around the house. Although, this is a lot easier said than done. My son does not need telling when tidying up after playing, but helping with chores is an entirely different story! 😀

9. Patty | MrsC says:

What a cute story about the DS! I think it’s great that you’re teaching your kid how to tidy up while she is still young. Trust me when I tell you it really makes a difference when they get older. 🙂

10. Nini Perez says:

Oh, I saw that list too somewhere. 🙂 Great job on teaching your little one. My son’s almost 20 months old. I’ve been trying to instil that he needs to put his toys back in their buckets after playing, to no avail. Sometimes he would, and then he’d pour everything out again. We just try and try hoping he’d get it eventually.

This is so cute! At least marunong! 🙂 We’ve had a similar incident when the dad was looking for his work ID for the longest time. It turns out that the toddler tidied it up and hid it inside the drawers.

12. Meg Mortega says:

Bunny is so cute. I can relate to husband asking where their stuff. It’s the same case as mine’s. Boys talaga. I also have a 29-month old baby boy and we also teach him to pack away his toys and to put his used glass and spoon and fork in the sink. We also ask him to put her tita’s clothes in her room when it gets mixed up with our clothes.

13. Berlin | Momi Berlin says:

Your Bunny is so.cute (pwera usog). I love.it.that she’s growing up to be real tidy. My 18months old boy also loves to sweep the floor and clean the table. He perhaps imitates his mom or brother as we sweep the floor and wipe the table.

Your story reminds me of your Bunny when she.hid that cellphone near ba or inside the toaster oven.or something.

Yup under the toaster oven! Bunny also likes to sweep the floor. At times she would even initiate it and give me my walis tambo, she has her own tiny walis kasi. 🙂

14. Korai says:

My husband does that all the time. He usually forgets where his things are. I can totally relate. It’s like having another child in the house. Lol.

15. Ayi says:

I encourage my kids to help me around the house since we became yaya-less. Packing away their toys is one of their “most important task” since it saves me time too :)) Good job on teaching your little one at an early age 🙂

16. edel says:

Your little girl is the cutest! And to think that she knows how to tidy up at such a young age. Haha, I bet your husband won’t leave his toys lying around after that. 😉

17. Mayu says:

Starting kids early with chores really needs more patience! Good thing you have this list, and little bunny is so masunurin! Haha! Buti you found the DS before it gets spinned along with the laundry XD