18 Months and Counting

Ah! Mid year is here and with that Bunny and I hit another breastfeeding milestone that is breastfeeding for 18 months!

13344783_10209530038270526_1078104355906683061_n

To be honest, this time around was harder because the milk I pump is lesser than before because Bunny doesn’t latch as match as before. It was also more difficult to pump given the meetings I had to attend to and transitions at work. I did however ensure that I will still take home at least 5-7 oz of milk everyday which is enough to cover what she needs while I am gone.

There are times that I want her to stop, just because at times I feel like more than a year is good enough but then I look at her and know that what is best will be to allow her to wean on her own. This was also my realization when I read a letter I saw across my Facebook feed of a breastfeeding mom to her nursling. I cannot imagine not coming home and breastfeeding Bunny after a long day at work. Not sniffing her hair while she latches on as if saying where have I been and what took me so long to come home.

13103284_1038966182818465_5691180526367527367_n

Now, our next milestone is 21 months. Honestly I do not know if we will be able to hit that milestone, but I sure hope that we do. Even if I have heard my relatives say that it is time for me to wean her I will not do so until she is ready. It is always up to Bunny on whether she will already give up mom’s milky or not. At the end of the day whichever way it goes I am proud to have breastfed this beautiful Bunny girl.

13315620_10209429068946356_2562390798786632533_n

1. Sonnie says:

You deserved much respect for prioritising the need of your daughter despite the hassles of being a working mom. Wifey tried to do that unsuccessfully.

Thank you Sonnie. I think at the end of the day all mums try as much as they can but it doesn’t work out for all moms. In the end though what we give to our kids are still the best of what we can provide. πŸ™‚

2. sabine says:

It’s very good of you that you’ve reached that amount of months of breastfeeding. I’ve been pumping for 4 months when my daughter was early born, she was in the hospital so we brought the milk every day. I think it’s the best you can give your baby. Keep up the milestones babe!

3. Berlin says:

Congrats to both of you. I would love to hear and read stories like this as it inspires me to give more to my little man. We are only on our 10th month and I truly pray i would be able to give him milk until the day he decides its enough. Aside from the bonding, its the happiness to satisfy the baby that makes me so in love with breastfeeding.

Again, congrats and way to go sa inyong 21months target!

4. Nilyn Matugas says:

congratulations to you and your lovely toddler. Go go go lang sa bfeeding. Also extended bfeeding my son for 25 months now. I don’t think he wants to be weaned yet. lol. So go lang din ako.

5. Mirriam says:

Wow! Congratulations, Den. I have heard a lot of breastfeeding stories from friends. I heard it’s not as easy as it looks. This is truly a milestone.

6. Kim says:

I may not be a mom but i know the struggle of being a working mom as per my sister’s experience. You are doing a great job at pursuing your daughters needs. Breastfeeding builds a bond between you and your child. Patience is realkg a virtue when raising a kid but it is every parents joy to see them happy. You got a lovely daughter and congrats for reaching your 18 months milestone.

Thank you so much! It really is hard to raise a kid but it is rewarding to see them grow up. Breastfeeding is hard at times but is a great reminder that whatever happens I can provide her most basic need.

7. Nadj says:

Kudos Ms. Den! Wow, you’re such an inspiration. Hopefully in the future I can also be a good mom and practice breastfeeding instead of powdered milk.

8. Karen says:

I envy you. I remember how I find it hard to breastfed my children because I don’t produce much breast milk. The longest lasts for five months only.

That was me before too, but I tried as much as I can to keep on breastfeeding her. I ate lactation treats and power pumped to help me increase my supply. πŸ™‚

9. Bettina Bacani says:

I only hope to be able to provide milk to my child when the time comes. It’s going to have to stop eventually, but I agree, as long as the child isn’t ready, continue lang. πŸ™‚

There’s actually just a small percentage who wouldn’t be able to provide milk, it is all about determination and discipline. πŸ™‚

10. ROBERT LEE says:

Denice,

Being a mom, this is what it’s all about. No matter how inconvenient or how hard, you will do what is necessary because of love. There is no greater love than that between a mom and her child – you and Bunny.

Keep it up. You are doing good.

Thanks so much Robert. Sometimes I don’t think about how hard it is because when I think about Bunny I know that I can do anything. πŸ™‚

11. Coi says:

Same tayo! Hihi πŸ˜‰ I’m also breastfeeding my little girl for 18months already and counting! Let’s do this until their 24th month! πŸ™‚

Thank you! I was taking Moringga capsules before, but I realized later on that the key really was to drink lots of water and harbor lots of positive thoughts. πŸ™‚

12. Maan says:

Wow congratulations! I know how you’re feeling. When I was still breastfeeding, I was also waiting for the day he’ll finally wean. Well, he didn’t until I weaned him off before he turned 3. Just take it 1 day at a time mummy!

13. Lady Anne Louise Barrun says:

That poem is heartwarming. I wasn’t able to breastfeed my son which is why I can’t relate to breastfeeding moms. But I know how hard for them, and their sacrifices to give what’s best for their child. You are doing the right decision and don’t listen to what other’s opinion. Just follow you mother’s instinct.

14. Nini Perez says:

Congratulations to you and your bunny. πŸ™‚ we are turning 12 months on July. I think we will never be ready enough for the day they self-wean. Even through the biting, I’m still drawn to making him latch again.

looking forward to your 21st month. Kaya nyo yan!

15. Swayam Tiwari says:

Oh, such a wonderful thought! Breastfeeding is such a bewutiful activity. It makes the child stronger. But, I am not sure whetehr the mother- child bond endures in the long run.

16. Louisa says:

It was also my goal to breastfeed my children and thankfully I was able to do so. I would have wanted it to be longer but each child there was a reason for me to stop. You can do it!

17. May Palacpac says:

I miss my kids being babies and I miss our breastfeeding bonding. I remember them peeking at me at times and then going back to their business, heehee. Sigh. Enjoy the moments, mommy.

18. Janice says:

You definitely have a lot to be proud of. Do what’s best for you and your baby. I can only hope and pray that I’ll be able to breastfeed my new baby for that long when he or she finally comes out in a few months. πŸ™‚

19. Louise says:

Super admire you (and the many other mothers out there) for doing this for their babies. I personally know other mothers who don’t like to breastfeed for personal and selfish reasons. I’m not yet a mother but I feel I won’t be fit to breastfeed due to my health conditions. πŸ™ Parang hindi complete ang motherhood pag di nakapag breastfeed ang baby mo sayo.

Louise | Tales & Escapades