Working and Breastfeeding: Is It Possible?

I want to make a firm stand that working moms can continue with their aim to exclusively breastfeed their little ones. Some people have this misconception that once a mom decides to go back to work they have to discontinue giving liquid gold to their precious little ones. Some go as far as telling moms to pick between their career and breastfeeding (believe me I have read some comments like these). That is where I want to jump in and say that it is possible to do both.

I would be lying if I say that it is a walk in the park. That doing both is as simple as typing words in your laptop. No, it is hard work and it needs dedication. Let’s emphasize the word DEDICATION. That is what you need to be able to accomplish this goal of breastfeeding and working at the same time. Again, not impossible but not easy.

From Baby Center UK

From Baby Center UK

You might ask me, what makes me qualified to share that statement. I am a working mom who is still breastfeeding my little one for almost 15 months now. She is not showing any signs of weaning and I am not stopping her any time soon. I will allow her to wean on her own time. Now back to working and breastfeeding.

12241793_10207941508478274_9216860154678542687_n

It is hard, and you would have a lot of things to consider when you do continue providing your little one. You would have to answer questions such as:

• Will you still direct latch?
  • Will you be an exclusive pumper or would you switch between cupfeeding or bottles and then direct latch when you are at home?
  • Will you hand express or use a pump?
  • Will you buy a manual pump or an electric pump?
  • Will you build your stash using bottles or breastmilk bags?
  • If you choose breastmilk bags, which specific bag will guarantee you no spills of your liquid gold?
  • When should you start building your stash before you go home?
  • How can you keep your supply up?
  • How often do you need to pump per day?
  • How do you plan to bring home your milk? Especially if you are living far away or you have attend a business out of town trip?

That’s a lot right? I personally can answer each for you but at the end of the day it will have to be your choice. But believe me it is possible. I have heard of other moms who have survived breastfeeding and working for more than 2 years. But believe me it takes dedication.

There will be times when your supply will go down, because of stress or self-doubt. This happened to me just yesterday when I doubted my capacity to produce milk for Bunny. My output from the usual 4 – 5 oz dropped to 2 oz.

There will be times when you would forget to pump. I am guilty of this whenever I get too absorbed in what I do that I forget to check what time it is. Sometimes my boob will hurt but I would put it off because I am stuck in a meeting.

There will be times when my milk stash will be not enough for her daily needs. This is a nightmare, because you would have to rush home (think of Manila traffic) and time yourself. That or you would have to stay up at midnight or set an alarm to pump extra even if you have a sleeping baby latched to one of your boobies.

There will be times when you just want to quit, because let’s just be honest, sometimes it gets tiring. Physically and emotionally you would feel tired from providing and pressured to take home 3 to 4 bags per day to cover for her needs.

But it will all be worth it, because you know in your heart that you are providing what you think is best for your little one. I still breastfeed because I know that it is what she needs and the bond we have is stronger. Even if I am away for 10-12 hours per day, going home and being welcomed by a tiny human who only wants to latch on reminds me that it is all worth it. All of my efforts are not wasted because she smiles back when she’s latching or when she’s drinking milk from her bottle. She smiles with satisfaction as if saying that she knows I am there with her because she has my liquid gold.

12391442_10208088054741839_9152757237835175742_n

It is possible to do both, believe me, but you need to want to provide. You need to put in all of your effort for this goal that you have. Never compare yourself to other moms who also do the same. Never compare your stash or your output because her little one’s needs are different from that of yours.

It is possible, because you are protected by the law. Republic Act 10028 or the Expanded Breastfeeding Promotion Act states that:

• Your workplace should establish lactation stations
    • This lactation station should have
      • Area for hand washing
      • Plug for electric pumps
      • Comfy chairs
      • Refrigiration for storing of your expressed milk
    • You as a breastfeeding mother are entitled to break periods when you can pump and store your milk
      • This is aside from your normal break periods
      • Should not be less than 40 mins per 8 working hours

It is possible if you believe in yourself and if you keep a positive attitude. Push through and just think of the positive effects it has for your baby. No matter how long you choose to breastfeed your baby, whether 6 months, a year, 2 years, or beyond know that you have the capacity to do so.

1. Lia Del Castillo says:

Super agree because I’m also a breastfeeding working Momma for 13 months now and counting. It takes a lot of effort, patience and commitment to do it but yes it can be done! My output now has also been down to 2oz per session so I just pump every 2hrs to help me fill the daily needs of my daughter. Good thing she eats a lot, so I don’t really have to stress so much about the supply.

2. Christina @There's Just One Mommy says:

With my first child I went back to work and still breast fed her exclusively. No, it wasn’t easy, but it was worth it. She reluctantly took a bottle while I was at work — stubborn child that she was she would only take one bottle during that time. And when I came to pick her up from the sitter’s her smile and excitement to see me were contagious! (We never left there without her breastfeeding first, she was too excited.)

Good tips here and great reminders for what your workplace should provide for breastfeeding mothers. They MUST provide a place for you. I taught in the middle school and was given time each day to go pump. I was very lucky to have supportive coworkers.

This reminds me of the first day that I left her for work. She struggled with the bottle and was very reluctant as well to drink milk. Now she’s okay with the bottle but still prefers direct latch when I am around. 🙂

3. Nini Perez says:

My counselees need to read this. You’re an inspiration for working mums! 🙂 I have a different level of respect for working mums who are still breastfeeding because doing so takes a whole new level of patience and dedication and you are doing a great job.

4. Melisa Sanchez says:

Yeah I agree, I have a working mom friend and she is exclusive breastfeeding and till now it’s working naman, I’m a breastfeed mom also, sometimes it’s tough and my parents keeps saying na e wean ko na si zd kasi mahirap daw at 1 year old na actually mag 2 years old na nga eh but hinayaan ko nalang basta ako breasfeed pa din ako. hehe

5. berlin says:

I learned from one of the talks at the Baby COmpany Grand Baby Fair last MOnth that there’s a law na re breastfeeding and work. There should be lactation stations na in establishments and even in offices. Thats so encouraging to hear. Before with my now 10year old boy, I used to pump at the conference room.

That is true, we moms just have to take the assertive stand for our rights to ensure that we can pump when we need to for our little ones.

6. Cheryl F says:

I’m exclusively breastfeeding my son and he’s now 22 months. Although I’m working at home, I know it’s quite difficult to do both especially if my LO demands while I’m still at my desk. But nothing really beats breastfeeding a child. And I love to do it.

My little girl is the same with me when I am at home. She unli-latches, no schedule followed just when she wants it. At times it can get tiring but it really is worth it. 🙂

7. Mommy Maye says:

Not fully breastfeeding is something I really regret. I wish our workplace have lactation stations, but it;s not really possible here. But I will do my best to fully breastfeed next time I’ll a baby. This is a helpful post by the way.

8. Marie says:

I have breastfed my youngest until he was 5, actually, and I work full time. I work on field and I always had with me my bag with packs of ice, bottles and 2 breastpumps.It really just takes commitment. Mahirap but worth it

9. Jerold Draleau says:

Whenever you are with your baby, you can still breastfeed. When you’re at work, your baby’s caregiver can use a bottle to feed your baby the breast milk you pump. However, be careful not to feed your baby from a bottle too early. If you use a bottle too early, your baby may not breastfeed as well. This problem is called nipple confusion. It is best to avoid bottles and pacifiers until your baby is 4 to 6 weeks of age and has learned how to breastfeed well.

I actually breastfeed and bottle feed her, she’s only bottlefed when I am not with her so as to establish that mommy is booby and no mommy is bottle time. 🙂