My Grab Bike Experience

12390908_1037564222966586_3741517894976259424_n

I have tried Grab Bike this Wednesday after my meeting at the Fort. I usually go for Grab Taxi or Grab Car, but it was past 7 PM. The combination of extreme traffic and high demand for both Grab Taxi and Grab Car meant that even if I tried over and over to book a ride, I will never get one. I mean I probably will but I will be stuck in traffic and get home around 10 PM.

This was when I opted to try Grab Bike, I mean I was used to riding habal habal when I was still working at the Fort (P50 from Ayala MRT to Picadilly). This was the quickest way to get to the office, but with some cons of course (hello magulong buhok). I really wanted to get home as fast as possible, and Grab Bike seemed to be the only legit way to do it.

12665777_10208450736808664_1634049217_n

Within a few minutes of opting to look for a Grab Bike, I booked a ride. The cost? Php 170. Initially I thought it was a bit expensive but after my ride I realized that it is just the right fare.

grab

My ride from Fort to Coastal Mall took 20 minutes. Yes, sumisingit si kuya but he already asked permission at the start of the ride if okay lang and I said yes. During the stops on our ride I asked him some questions. I found out that there were a lot of consumers already booking rides via Grab Bike. The farthest one he had was Manila to Imus (which just shows how crazy the traffic situation is here in the Philippines – wake up DPWH/MMDA/LTFRB/LTO/DOTC). In terms of daily rides, he would usually get 10 – 12 per day which would mean he can take home anywhere between Php 1,000 to Php 1,500.

n,

This is why I was saddened by the post I saw on Grab’s Facebook page – that they will be temporarily stopping Grab Bike. I don’t understand why they are keen on suspending Grab and Uber, which provides another option for transportation or commute and a more organized system, and not reprimanding taxi operators with drivers who ask for additional charge or who wants a fixed rate. I am still optimistic though that they will re-consider Grab but if they don’t I think they really should provide different options for commuters.

1. Mommy Queenelizabeth says:

Wow that looks cool.. grab a bike? Living here in the province, i never experienced booking my ride online.. but there’s also traffic here, heavy as in,especially in my city going to my home..but still nothing compares to manila traffic, its the famous of them all! hahaha!
    Manila life it is.. πŸ™‚

2. Mommy Mecheel says:

I never know such thing as Grab a Bike until I read your article. For a place that is prone to traffic this option is much better, I also wonder why they stopped the service. Tsk tsk… sayang..

Yup! And I really wish that they finally settle a deal with the government because it really is a good alternative. πŸ™‚

3. JanzCrystalz/January says:

I heard about Grab and its somewhat expensive. Hmmm but if in Metro Manila, ganun na rin yun because the taxi drviers there are sooo ” ” . They always ask for additional amount aside from metered fare, that is why whenever I have travel to Metro Manila I tried my best to carry with a backpack para madaling sumakay ng bus from the airport to MRT Taft to Quezon City. For Grab Bike, hmmm I can consider that as long as careful c driver when driving, bike is more prone to accident than 4-wheel vehicles.

MRT is a great alternative also, except that it is always full and the lines are too long. πŸ™ You just have to tell the driver to not make any sudden singits. πŸ™‚

4. Mommy Pehpot says:

even ma stuck ako sa traffic, I’ll never use grab bike hehe

pero still, for some who are willing to use this kind of service, bakit naman na suspend?!? Sa Indonesia eto ang means of transport nila di ba

5. jared's mum says:

This is very convenient + imagine the amount of time you’d save riding this instead of being stuck in traffic for hours. I just hope our roads are friendlier for bikes so these type of service will flourish

I agree. I really hope that traffic will not be as horrible as it is now. Such a big hassle especially when I want to go home early for my little girl