Hello 2016, Goodbye 2015

The past year has been an amazing year. Not just for me, but I think for my entire family. The addition of bunny in our family was such a blessing in our lives. All of us realized how important family really is versus work. I seriously want to insert the quote, wait I mean speech, here from the former Coke CEO Bryan Dyson, I’m hesitant because it might seem a bit too obvious but well I know that words in photos work more vs. words alone:

ceo coke quote bryan dyson

The most important part of his speech is the last bit wherein he mentioned that people should work efficiently during office hours and leave on time. In my line of work, some people would think that it is impossible to do so (I work in media/advertising wherein we are deemed to be always on) but it is possible. I was able to survive a year without going overtime. Yes, there were times wherein I had to work at home but I do so when my bunny is sound asleep. Overall though it is possible to survive without going overtime, you just have to learn how to prioritize things. Some people might think I’m crazy but if you really work efficiently it can happen (meaning don’t stalk people’s updates by always checking your Facebook Newsfeed, learn how to use your time well, learn how to say no and to ask for extensions if needed, don’t stalk people’s updates (again because I see people do this a lot at work, really you can do that when you are stuck in traffic and not at work), and take care of your personal updates on your favorite shows/sports/artists/etc. at home or when you are commuting). Another thing is that you just have to learn to accept that not all tasks can be finished in a day (this took a lot of time before I finally accepted this truth) but to make sure that you meet your deadlines (I guess this is a big deal for me because I’m a journ graduate and a prof of mine told me before that if we don’t learn the importance of meeting deadlines we are dead).

I realized that bunny was more important than career, although I still have a lot of career goals I know when to hold back to be there for her. Have I ever thought of quitting? I would be lying if I said no, because there was a part of me that cried buckets when my maternity leave was about to end. Why did I go back? Simply because I love what I do. Even if I rant here and there about work at the end of the day I find myself going the extra mile because I love what I do.

hard-work-quote-7

The past year made me realize that it is possible to have both, an amazing family and a thriving career. Although difficult at times (like Vibering during holidays and wee hours of the day while breastfeeding bunny) it is possible.

That is why I welcome 2016 with arms wide open. Ready to receive whatever will be thrown at me because now I am a year older, I am aware of what is important to my life, and I am aware that every year brings a learning opportunity that will help me grow more as a person, as a mom, as a career woman.

1. Didi says:

Happy New Year!! πŸ™‚

Yes, you can have both naman – as long as you have a good support group. Kasi if you’re the only one doing all the work and no one is helping or supporting you – well, mahirap siya. You’re very lucky then!

Embrace the challenges of 2016!!

PUSH MO YAN!!

Love, Didi

2. Kim | Mom On Duty says:

I manage my own business and although I have my own office, I sometimes work from home too. Being the owner, I don’t really have set work hours. I get emails any time of the day and calls even at night. What I learned to do, however, is to make sure that the time I spend with my family really counts. I also make sure I unplug, especially on weekends.

3. berlin maynigo says:

Nice read. And so happy for you that you have your work and still get to enjoy the little bunny. I resigned from work when i got pregnant with my baby boy and sometimes, I miss my job and the pressure that comes with it. But being able to breastfeed and look after my little munchkin bring so much joy. I wouldn’t exchange this experience with anything else in the world. I wasn’t able to that with my three older sons kasi.

Thank you! Each mom is different and I salute stay at home moms because it takes a great deal of work to keep homes in tip top shape!

4. Lady Anne Louise Barrun says:

I agree that we mother’s should not let go of our dreams especially being a career woman. It makes as fulfilled. We are superwoman, and we can be a working mother. We really just need a time management for everything.

5. Mhaan Arambulo (@momyrockinstyle) says:

I agree that our little bunny is the most important and some of us including me left our job to spend most of our time with them. Sometimes I feel bad because I missed working in the office, pero mas masarap magwork kapag yung breaktime mo is cuddling with your little one. πŸ™‚

True. Iba iba din talaga and I know that all moms just want the best for their family and themselves as well. πŸ™‚

6. Maan says:

I agree that it is very possible! Of course, having a career and raising a family at the same time is hard and we need to make sacrifices, but with God’s grace it is possible.

7. Ayi says:

it is challenging to wear different hats all at the same time. But if there is something I learned from juggling different responsibilities, it is to never waste time. Cheers to a more fruitful 2016 πŸ™‚

Agree with you! Each minute is important when you juggle different responsibilities. πŸ™‚ Happy 2016 to you too!

8. Grace says:

just like what they say, there’s nothing more important than raising a family. i’m happy for you that you’re 2015 turned out well. have a great 2016 dear πŸ™‚

9. jared's mum says:

it might be difficult to strike a happy balance between family life and a career but it is achievable! Cheers to 2016 + here’s to more blessings for us + our family! πŸ™‚